This major meets the needs of advanced metal materials, nano material, energy material, advanced ceramic materials, semiconductor materials, carbon materials, and other national emerging strategic industries. This major aim to cultivate high-quality innovative talents with physical and mental health, good thought quality, professional ethics, understanding of China's national conditions, international perspective and high sense of social responsibility, and adapting to the needs of social and economic development. The students need to systematically master the basic theory and application knowledge of material science and engineering and can be engaged in electric, magnetic, optical, thermal, chemical and biological and materials and devices, and other aspects of scientific research, mechanical design and manufacturing, technology development and enterprise management. They have an international perspective and can meet the demand of social and economic development. After graduation, through hard work and training, the students can gradually grow into leading figures in society.
Students trained in this major should be qualified as engineers in materials or related fields about five years after graduation through advanced study or industrial practice, and can achieve the following goals:
(1) Ability to systematically apply the basic theoretical knowledge of natural science and material science and engineering, and have the ability of system thinking and multi-disciplinary knowledge integration, transfer, and promotion.
(2) Ability to creatively apply materials science and engineering expertise to solve complex engineering problems in this and other related fields.
(3) Strong sense of teamwork, communication, and communication skills, sense of social responsibility, able to scientifically manage and lead a multidisciplinary team, organize and cooperate to complete complex engineering projects in the field of materials science and engineering.
(4) With physical and mental health, excellent moral character, scientific quality, and humanistic accomplishment, loving of motherland, can comprehensively consider such factors as ethics, society and environment, and sustainable development in engineering practice.
(5) Have a good lifelong learning, international vision, cross-cultural communication, pioneering and innovative consciousness, and competitive ability.
(6) Have a good sense of service, social responsibility, fulfill social and public responsibility.
This major mainly studies the basic theory and applied technology in the field of materials science and engineering. Graduates should acquire the following knowledge and ability:
(1) Engineering knowledge: master mathematics, natural science, engineering fundamentals, and professional knowledge of materials science and engineering, able to apply relevant knowledge and mathematical modeling methods to solve complex engineering problems in materials science and engineering and related fields.
(2) Problem analysis: able to use the basic principles of mathematics, natural science, and engineering science to identify, formulate, research on literature and analysis complex engineering problems in materials science and engineering and related fields, such as material composition, structure, process, properties and their mutual relations, and obtain effective conclusions.
(3) Design/development solution: considering the safety and health, laws and regulations and the related standards and restricting factors, such as economy, environment, culture, and society, students can design for material preparation, organization and performance of complex engineering problems solution and design to meet the specific needs of the system, unit (parts), or process, and can reflect innovation consciousness in the design process.
(4) Research: based on scientific principles and using scientific methods to research complex materials science and engineering problems including material composition, structure, process, properties and their interrelationships, including designing experiments, analyzing and interpreting data, and drawing reasonable and effective conclusions through information synthesis.
(5) Use modern tools: ability to design components, structures and processes, perform performance analysis and prediction and simulation for complex engineering problems in materials science and engineering, develop, select and use appropriate technologies, resources, modern engineering tools and information technology tools, and understand their limitations.
(6) Engineering and society: in the process of solving complex engineering problems in materials science and engineering, students can conduct reasonable analysis based on relevant background knowledge of technical standards, intellectual property rights, industrial policies and laws and regulations in materials related professional fields, evaluate the impact of engineering practices in materials and related fields on society, health, safety, law, and culture, understanding the responsibilities that should be assumed.
(7) Environment and sustainable development: familiar with policies, laws and regulations related to environmental protection and sustainable development in the field of materials, students can understand and evaluate the impact of engineering practice in the field of materials on the sustainable development of environment and society.
(8) Professional norms: with humanistic and social science literacy and social responsibility, able to understand and abide by the professional ethics and norms in the process of production, design, research and development of related industries in the field of materials science and engineering in engineering practice, and fulfill responsibilities.
(9) Individuals and Teams: ability to act as an individual, team member, and leader in a multidisciplinary material engineering practice, and to effectively communicate and collaborate with members from other disciplines.
(10) Communication: ability to effectively communicate and communicate with industry peers and the public on complex engineering issues in the field of materials science and engineering. Ability to write reports, design documents, make presentations, and clearly express or respond to instructions. Also, students should have a certain international vision, can communicate and exchange in the cross-cultural background.
(11) Project management: understanding and mastering the engineering management principles and economic decision-making methods involved in engineering projects in the field of materials, understanding the cost structure of the whole cycle and process of engineering and products in the field of materials, understanding the engineering management and economic decision-making issues involved, and be able to apply them in a multidisciplinary environment.
(12) Lifelong learning: understanding clearly the theories and technologies in the field of materials science and engineering, understanding the characteristics of its rapid development and rapid technological update, having the awareness of self-learning and lifelong learning and the ability to continuously learn and adapt to the development.